Thursday, March 20, 2008

Soccer and quilts

Today Charlotte played in her first soccer game of the season. But even more importantly, it was the first organized sporting event she's ever played in. It was great to see her running up and down the field and having a great time.

When she was 9 months old but had the gross motor capability of an 8-week-old, and then when she was 2 and a half and incapable of walking, we didn't even want to think about what she'd be doing at 6. Now, years of therapy and effort later, we've come farther than we'd ever dared to hope. It's really miraculous, and we are incredibly, unbelievably thankful that she's doing so well.

There are a couple more pictures here.

In other, less cataclysmic, news, I went to a quilt show on Sunday. It was held at Bulloch Hall in Roswell, which was a beautiful place to have it. I'd been meaning to visit Bulloch Hall for a while now, mostly because of its historical significance as the childhood home of Teddy Roosevelt's mother. Sunday was the last day of the show, and since no one else wanted to go, I went by myself. I'm not a quilter, but I do love quilts. Especially ones that look like they could have been made in past centuries. So I went and took several photos of the ones I liked. This one was particularly striking:

but there were lots of quilts that were beautifully done and which also appealed to me with their vintage-y aesthetic.

Very inspirational. Even though my personal quilting experience has been limited to making quillows for my kids, maybe it's enough to make me take another look at the beautiful quilt tops my great aunts made in Illinois during the Depression. It would be great to have them finished. And the embroidered ones look fun.

That's what I need -- to add a couple of quilts to my ridiculously long project list. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Right, Charlotte?

1 comment:

LLA said...

yay! for charlotte, your miracle girl....